Welcome to Erssie Knits

To see my new website, and find patterns to download and more go here to the Erssie Knits website
Erssie's Rasta Style Beanie
(Jaeger Shetland Aran - Unrealeased and DB Aran discontinued)

I wasn't going to make one of these, thought there would be far too many and more superior versions around. However, i was shocked at the quality of some of the beanies in these colours on sale, lots of scratchy acrylics and really garish acrylics and bad styles. Obviously the nice ones I see on the streets must be made by a loving wife, Mum, Auntie, Gran because I don't see ones like that for sale. I was also horrified to see that shops sold beanies like this with false dreadlocks hanging out. Now, the reason I found those hard to swallow was that of the people I know who have committed to dreads, it has been a long term committment for them or part of their culture, not a stupid party joke. I feel the same way about those fake punk wigs as well and office workers who say "I'm going as a punk" when it's a Christmas fancy dress party. Being a punk is so muh more than hair and music, anyone who was around in the mid to late 70's will realise it wasn;t about being a circus act.




More Swatches...................
Oh yes, here are some swatches in Bamboo and soy silk. I liked the soy silk although it can get a bit crumpled but so can cotton. It seems to drape well be is firm enough for a good tight stitch definition. bamboo on the other hand seemed to feel floppy and insubstantial, at the moment I have a love hate relationship with it.

I would have to commit for a whole garment to know how I realy feel about these yarns. Also, the sheen on them does mean it is hard to make something suitable for all types of people, it is slinky and feminine
though. I know it would probably be perfect for a top for me, if I had a bit of waist shaping with the drape, it could make a good alternative to the long sleeved floppy T-shirts I wear. I forgot to say about the bamboo as well, it is so stretchy! That could be perfect for a T-shirt or fitted skirt although on the recommended needle size, you can see daylight through the stitches. I think it is the unfamiliarity of the yarns that leaves me stumped for the moment as to exactly what I'd do with them. however, thanks to SWTC, I have some samples to play with.

How about a pretty baby girls hat and socks? Or some hair accessories for me?
Swatches below from left to right, Crimson 100% soy silk, Greens - 100% bamboo, Parrot - soy silk


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Erssie--

Will the hat pattern be available (for sale or free, either one)? I have a friend who shrank the hat her dreadlocked brother likes to wear, and she's asked me if I can make a new one. I don't really know where to start to get something that will fit right and have room for the dreadloocks.

Best wishes!
Sarah-Hope
www.whatifknits.com

Louise said...

Is the crimson swatch here for the shawl pictured below - would love to know where I can get the pattern for that - I don't really go for shawls but that is really tempting.
Lx