Welcome to Erssie Knits

To see my new website, and find patterns to download and more go here to the Erssie Knits website
Introducing Jonelle and SWTC...........................

I first came across Jonelle as she joined in some of the discussions on the ifthehatfits group. Later I found out that she was the big boss of SWTC who make a lot of yarns in natural fibres that are non animal based



Soy Silk, Bamboo, Tofu, Maize and Hemp

All of these and many more combinations of yarns are interesting options for the vegan knitter but also a refreshing alternative to woolly fibres. Most of them can be found on the South West Trading Company website, go and have a look at their updated website which is now more knitter friendly and less wholesale orientated.

So far, I have knitted one swatch from the variegated shade of 100% Soy Silk,thanks to Viridian who sent me samples. It has a beautiful sheen and the spaces between dyes is similar to a sock yarn. Its also very stretchy and I can imagine it being suited to T-shirts and tops as it can be worn next to the skin. I haven't knitted a whole garment with it, so I don't know how it compares with the bamboo tape yarns from other spinners which have been reported to be heavy.

I am about to receive some samples from The House of Hemp
They grow agricultural hemp which can be made into tree free paper or spun to make yarns which are then spun in beautiful colours chosen by their in house designer. They also provide retreats and weaving workshops. Just looking at their website made me yearn for a retreat, nothing to do but knitting and relaxing without those household matters staring me in the face. I will report back on their sample once knitted and introduce them properly. For now, just have a look at their tempting palette.

HoHo
Om
Ouch
Wow
HaHa
Dah
Woah
Yippi
Woopi
Hum
Gosh
Yah
Ssh
Phew
Indigo
Ah
Mmm
Pow
Psst
Um
Huff
Aw
Or ...

If you would like to be introduced on skeinspotting you will need to send me 3 JPEGS of your work if you are a designer with links to your blogs/websites or yarn samples and links if you are a spinner. Please send

1. A JPEG of a classic work which you are identified with
2. A JPEG of a quirky or unusual work (for you) that will be of interest to readers
3. A JPEG of one of your latest pieces of work

No comments: