Welcome to Erssie Knits

To see my new website, and find patterns to download and more go here to the Erssie Knits website
Handknit Heroes


Handknit heroes is the first graphic novel for knitters. It features everything you would want from a classic superhero/villain comic book but with a knitting theme. Each issue features a knitted garment or item in the story and then the knitting pattern for the item is featured in the issue too. This first issue features one of my knitting patterns for a scarf. I knew the scarf would be worn by one of the key heroes in the book so I designed it with a hood that would be handy for a disguise and deep pockets to conceal things. As this issue was produced over the other side of the Atlantic I have yet to see the issue and can't wait till my copy arrives.

The artwork was done by Marc Olivent who works in this genre. Actually he works in this genre with a twist and a lot of his work is on the more alternative side of comic book stories.

Anyway, this is the scarf that I designed for the issue.



There was a competition to guess what this project was before release, and the winner would be the person who came closest to filling in some blanks. I am pleased to announce that the winner was Kat Whittaker who guessed this was a Debbier Bliss yarn, and she came closest so Debbie Bliss Rialto Aran is going out to her.

I am looking forward to 2009, I have some really interesting projects coming up that will really satisfy my own artistic needs. It is so good to be able to choose the themes I work with and coming up with the designs and charts that mean a lot to me. Although it has been nice to be constantly busy making things for various publications a certain part of me wonders how much better it would be if all of my efforts went into one publication and that is what I am going to steer towards. I have started the year with a new PC, with Windows Vista which is new to me and a lovely huge widescreen which makes sketching, charting and writing so much easier.

So new PC means I need to learn new skills, this is just a short list of what I want to be able to do

  • Use Illustrator for charts and diagrams
  • Use a graphics tablet and pen
  • Use In Design for tables and charts and page layout for patterns
  • Use Flash and another movies software for instructional video etc
  • Learn how to use Photoshop properly to its full extent
  • Learn how to use a camera more effectively
  • Research into culture and folk styles and designs that can enhance my own designs
  • Learn Dreamweaver if I have time

Now I know that I probably won't get round to that lot, it is a lot to learn whilst keeping up knitting and coping with illness and disabilities that make me slow. However, in the trying, I will not feel like a useless lump stuck at home due to illness. There are plenty of things as well that I don't know about knitting and I hope to continue to learn things with regards to that as well as work on the two books I am committed to this year.

As far as my work and activities go, 2009 and is looking to be good. What is not looking so good is my finances (they are always dire and restricting) and I am missing company close by. I now know not a single person who lives locally and I do feel I miss people popping in for a cup of tea and the day to day contact with human beings. Now, if I want to see someone or talk to them face to face, it involves a trip and to be perfectly honest, I am just not well enough to stay in other peoples houses or to travel that far. So for most of 2008 I was 'just about to' get round to visiting people or seeing them and it just did not happen.

Ironically, I can go on holiday to our favourite cottage because I know we can have a bathroom/toilet to 2 people. Also my brother and his wife and my nephew and niece live in New Zealand and it is sad I don't get to know the kids. My father is in Devon, I haven't seen him for about 18 mths, he is quite ill himself and the only way to see him is to stay in a hotel near his flat as he won't have visitors. Last time we visited about 3 yrs ago, it was over £1000 for a room in Torquay for the week! He lives in an upmarket sea resort on the south coast so it is expensive. So we have been meeting up with my Dad only by staying in cottages outside his area and then him coming to visit.

No comments: